to get there ?
Cherai beach is 35 Kms from Cochin
and borders Vypeen Island. This beautiful beach is studded with
seashells of various hues and shapes.
airport is Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery- 22kms
railway station is at Ernakulam, about 35 kms away. Cochin has
2 stations: Ernakulam Junction and Ernakulam Town . Trains from
the Northern cities/Southern parts of India stop at Ernakulam
to North Paravur and from there to Cherai, a distance of about
25km. KSRTC Central Bus station is near the Ernakulam Junction
of interest around Cherai Beach
Temple & Chariot festival : This exquisite
temple was constructed in A.D1869. Azheekkal Sree Varaha Venkateswara
Temple is the only "Sampoornakshetra" in South India.
This is the only temple in India where both the deities of Sree
Varaha and Sree Venkateswara are installed side by side and worshiped
as single moorthy (God).
The famous temple "Ratha" (Chariot) is a rarity in temple
architecture. This is the only chariot in the world, which runs
on the rail. The festival takes place twice in a year. The chariot
is pulled by devotees around the temple to the accompaniment of
Gowreeswara Temple : An
important pilgrimage centre in Kerala, it is also known as South
Pazhani, built in 1912. Gowreeswara temple is dedicated to Lord
Muruka. The idle was installed by Sree Narayana Guru. To see Cherai
at her best come during the festival. The trumpeting of more than
30 elephants and the magical sound of "Panchavaadya"
and the spectacular view of celebratory fireworks.
Pallipuram Church :
The church was built by the Portuguese in 1577. The exquisite
picture of Holy Mary positioned at the top of the "Altar"
was brought from Portugal. The Church, however, survived the onslaught
of the Dutch who were not Catholics. And the amazing thing is
that the Dutch even built a chapel for this church.
Juma Masjid : An
elegant mosque of harmonious proportions and simplicity. In 1869
the mosque was renovated, but there is no evidence when this was
Portuguese Fort :
Built in1503 by the Portuguese it was also known as 'Aya Kotta'.
It is the oldest European monument in India. It was an out post
to safegurd the famous Mussiris Port. In 1661 the Dutch captured
the fort and in 1789 the fort was handed over to the King of Thiruvathankoor.
In 1795 it came under the British. The hexagonal fort is the best-preserved
Paddy Field : The
green emerald paddy fields attract lots of tourists and its pastural
surroundings are really charming.