A tasty papaya preparation, a trendy version of the traditional avial which can be served with both rice and Chappathi...
1. Papaya (green/ not ripened) - 1no.
2. Green chillies - 2 no.s
3. Grated coconut - 1 cup
4. Shallots - 2 no.s
5. A small bowl of tamarind juice
6. Curry leaves
7. Coconut oil - 2 teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
9. Chilly powder - 1½ teaspoon
10. Salt - to taste
11. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cut papaya into long strips and cook with chilly powder, salt, and turmeric.
- Use water just required for cooking as this is not a very liquidy preparation.
- Grind coconut, green chilies, shallots, and the cumin seeds into a semi grind.
- Pour the tamarind juice into the cooked mixture.
- Simmer for a few minutes. Add the ground coconut into the papaya mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the fire.
- Add curry leaves and coconut oil and stir gently, not disturbing the vegetables.